Christian Formation is designed to empower families to bond more closely with each other and their parish family through active participation in their faith journey. Our involvement in the church has a significant impact on our children’s commitment to their faith. Volunteering to support the Christian Formation programs highlights the importance you place on your faith and your desire to pass the faith along to your child/children. We invite you to prayerfully consider the volunteer opportunities listed below to enhance you and your family’s Christian Formation experience.
We sincerely understand that today’s world creates heavy demands on everyone’s time, and we do not want to overtax any single person or family. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities with varying levels of commitment that we hope will help you find a role that works for you and your family.
We are genuinely grateful for your commitment to help us build a program that encourages your child/children and your family to grow in your love for Christ and appreciate the gift of your Catholic faith!
- Catechist/Mentor: Share your faith with the children/teens of St. Ann’s. If you have a heart for children/teens, we have the resources and training you will need to serve this community as an Elementary Catechist or Youth (middle or high school) Mentor. Our Elementary Coordinator and Youth Minster will host a training session at the beginning of the year where you will receive a “teacher guide” and resources to support your ministry. We will show you how to use the curriculum for your assigned grade level; you will receive a plan for the chapters/topics to be covered at each session as well as helpful hints for class management and more! You do not need to have all the answers, just a love for children/teens and a desire to share the faith. Our staff is here to support you!
- Elementary Catechist: Elementary catechists meet with our Elementary Coordinator monthly to review the lessons for the month and discuss any questions or ideas you may have about the curriculum. Catechists present lessons to their age specific class two Sundays per month. Catechists also help support the monthly Family session by staffing different stations and encouraging families to engage in interactive learning experiences to help them feel more comfortable having faith discussions/experiences at home. Elementary Catechist Application
- MS/HS Mentors: MS/HS Mentors gather for a training session at the beginning of the year where they will receive all the age-specific curriculum and additional resources needed for the year. Following a calendar of assigned topics for each session, Mentors facilitate small group discussions regarding their Catholic faith and Its role/impact on their lives by grade level. Our youth minister will share emails with details about upcoming sessions and is available for additional support as needed. MS/HS Mentor Application
- Substitute Catechists/Mentors: On occasion we have catechists/mentors who are unable to be present for their class and we will need assistance in the classroom. Substitute catechists are paired with an experienced catechist who will take the lead to present the lesson material.
- Refreshment Team: Refreshments/snacks have become an important part of Christian Formation. Sharing a meal, no matter how large or small, is at the heart of our faith. We sincerely hope you will help us continue this ministry. Each month we will request donations to support this feature of our ministry. Each grade level will be assigned a month. A Sign Up Genius link will be emailed to you for you to assist with the set up and clean up of the refreshments for each CF session.
- “First” Sacraments Prep Team: Assist the Elementary Coordinator with the sacramental preparation retreats, scheduled 4 times per year.
- Set-Up Crew: Assist the Elementary Coordinator to prepare the Parish Hall for the Sacramental Preparation Retreats. 2023-2024 Set-Up Dates:
- Jan 5, 2024 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Feb 2, 2024 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Feb 23, 2024 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Apr 12, 2024 12:00pm-2:00pm
- Facilitators: Engage children in the prepared activities to help children gain a better understanding of the sacrament for which they are preparing.
- First Reconciliation Retreat dates:
- Saturday, January 6, 2024 (9:00am – 11:30am)
- Saturday, February 3, 2024 (9:00am – 11:00am)
- First Eucharist Retreat dates:
- Saturday, Feb 24, 2024 (9:00am – 11:30am)
- Saturday, April 13, 2024 (9:00am – 11:00am)
- Hospitality Crew: Set out and clean up retreat refreshments (see above for retreat dates/times)
- Special Event Support: Assist our staff by helping coordinate, set-up, serving at or clean-up at special Christian Formation or Parish Life events. You will receive email requests and can select your participation according to your availability.
- Administrative Assistance: Assist our staff with making phone calls, preparing supplies or shopping for events on your own time, or in your home. You will receive email requests and can select your participation according to your availability.
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) Team: Serve on our VBS team as a co-Director, decorations team member, Station Leader, Crew Leader and more. We typically host VBS during the months of June or July. There are a ton of opportunities to help with the preparations as well as during the week of VBS.
- Chaperone: Periodically throughout the year, we need chaperones for various middle and high school events. Some events happen at St. Ann’s and others may be off-site. Some events may be two hours or so and others overnight. You will receive email requests and can select your participation according to your availability.
- Children’s Liturgy Adult Leader: We are considering bringing Children’s Liturgy back to one of the Sunday morning Masses. We need a CLW leadership team to help coordinate the weekly liturgies for children. Adult leaders will lead the Children through age-appropriate readings and a simple reflection/activity with the support of adult/teen assistants. Each leader will have resources to assist and guide them.
- Children’s Liturgy Adult/Teen Assistant: CLW assistants will help assist the CLW Leader with management of each CLW session.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions/concerns:
Minister of Christian Formation: Patti Kamper at firstname.lastname@example.org,
Elementary Coordinator: Sarah Uy at email@example.com or
Youth Minister: Erin Maguire-Metrey at firstname.lastname@example.org