The Sacrament of Confimation completes our intiation into the Catholic Church, strengthening our bond with the Church and helping us to bear witness to the Christian faith in our words and deeds.
In the Diocese of Richmond, in order to begin preparing for Confirmation, a teen must be currently enrolled in at least the tenth grade and be at least 15 years old. If you are an adult who desires to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation, please click here to see our Becoming Catholic/Christian Initiation page. After discerning his/her readiness, youth present themselves to the pastor to make known their intention to celebrate this Sacrament. During the time of preparation, the student must regularly attend classes and related events.
Attendance at all special Confirmation Preparation sessions is required. Additionally, in preparation for celebrating the Sacrament, it is expected that the student should:
- Be a member of the parish.
- Attend Mass regularly all year.
- Attend the Sunday Mass presenting the confirmands to the congregation.
- Attend the regularly scheduled 10th grade Christian Formation classes and events.
- Attend the separate Confirmation Preparation Sessions.
- Attend the all-day Confirmation retreat on Saturday, February 4th
- Choose a sponsor, who will attend selected classes and events with the Confirmand.
- Give copies of Baptismal certificates to the Christian Formation office (including date, name and complete address of the church where the Sacrament took place.)
- Choose a Confirmation name if desired (an admired saint as a role model).
- Celebrate Confirmation at Mass as assigned by the Bishop (2024 date To Be Determined).
You can register for Confirmation preparation using the regular Christian Formation registration form. If your teen attends Catholic School and their Christian Formation is part of their academic curriculum, they only need to be registered for Confirmation preparation. Write "Confirmation Prep Only" on your form.
Please note: If you have a child age 7-17 who was baptized in another faith tradition or you are an adult who has completed high school please contact our Minister of Christian Formation - Patti Kamper at firstname.lastname@example.org about preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
2024 Confirmation Preparation Calendar
All Confirmands are expected to participate in a retreat experience as part of their preparation. St. Ann's will host their day-long retreat for Confirmands on Saturday, November 18th. If you have a conflict with those days, please contact our youth minister, Erin Maguire-Metrey to see about registereing your Confirmand for one of these diocesan options.
- Saturday, November 11, 2023, at Saint Thomas More, Lynchburg: Registration will begin at 9:30am and the retreat ends at the close of the 5:00pm Vigil Mass.
- Sunday, November 12, 2023, at The Blessed Sacrament Huguenot School: Registration will begin at 9:30am and the retreat ends at the close of the 5:00pm Vigil Mass.
- March 9, 2024, at Saint Mark, Virginia Beach: Registration will begin at 10:30am and the retreat ends at teh close of the 5:30pm Vigil Mass.
Contact Youth Minister: Erin Maguire-Metrey at email@example.com