Welcome to Confirmation Preparation 2023!
The Sacrament of Confimation completes our intiation into the Catholic Church, strengthening our bond with the Church and helping us to bear witness to the Christian faith in our words and deeds. To foster a true sense of the Sacred, and to allow for the assimilation of the catechetical process, we encourage those preparing to encounter Jesus Christ in the Sacraments be enrolled in their Christian Formation classes during that academic year and in the prior year as well (9th and 10th grades for Confirmation). During this time of preparation, the student must regularly attend Christian Formation classes and other immediate preparation sessions.
In the Diocese of Richmond, in order to begin preparing for Confirmation, an adolescent must be currently enrolled in at least the tenth grade and be at least 15 years old. Most tenth graders who enroll in our Christian Formation programs and wish to be confirmed are eligible to enroll in our Confirmation Preparation Program. After discerning his/her readiness, the students will present themselves to the pastor to make known their intention to celebrate this Sacrament. During the time of preparation, the student must regularly attend classes and related events. Only three regular class absences in the 10th grade year will be allowed.
Attendance at all special Confirmation Preparation sessions is required. Additionally, in preparation for celebrating the Sacrament, it is expected that the student should:
- Be a member of the parish.
- Attend Mass regularly all year.
- Attend the Sunday Mass presenting the confirmands to the congregation.
- Attend the regularly scheduled 10th grade Christian Formation classes and events.
- Attend the separate Confirmation Preparation Sessions.
- Attend the all-day Confirmation retreat on Saturday, February 4th
- Choose a sponsor, who will attend selected classes and events with the Confirmand.
- Give copies of Baptismal certificates to the CF office (including date, name and complete address of the church where the Sacrament took place.)
- Choose a Confirmation name if desired (an admired saint as a role model).
- Celebrate Confirmation at Mass on April 25th at 7:00pm at Our Lady of Lourdes
You can register for Confirmation preparation using the regular Christian Formation registration form. If your teen attends Catholic School and their Christian Formation is part of their academic curriculum, they only need to be registered for Confirmation preparation. Write "Confirmation Prep Only" on your form.
Please note: If you have a child age 7-17 who was baptized in another faith tradition or you are an adult who has completed high school please contact our Minister of Christian Formation - Patti Kamper at firstname.lastname@example.org about preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
2023 Confirmation Preparation Calendar
Contact Minister of Christian Formation: Patti Kamper at email@example.com